Surgery Coloring Books For Children
One great way to help prepare a child for surgery is to introduce surgery through coloring books. There are many free coloring pages and books available to help children understand surgery in a way that is not scary or intimidating.
Surgery can be difficult for adults to understand, for children it can be confusing and even terrifying. Introducing the topic of surgery in a way your child can easily understand (and find non-threatening) can be extremely helpful.
Free Surgery Coloring Books
- This combination workbook and coloring book is from Hopkins Children’s. Older children will especially enjoy the word jumbles, word finds, and fill-in areas. This printable book encourages the child to write about themselves, along with coloring pages that help parents answer their child's questions.
- This read-along coloring book is for younger children and is made available by the Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota.
- The American Association of Nurse Anesthetists and The Ohio State Association of Nurse Anesthestists have made coloring pages available that not only help prepare your child for surgery and anesthesia, but they also include some helpful hints for Mom and Dad.
- The American Society of Anesthesiologists also has a coloring book contribution, this one gives a realistic idea of what the hospital staff will be wearing, how the operating room looks, and helps explain anesthesia.
- Oakwood Heathcare of Detroit, Michigan has a set of coloring pages that features a bear, and helps teach children what to expect from a basic physical exam, wearing a hospital gown, and also explains different areas of the hospital.