1. Health
Jennifer Heisler, RN

Surgery News: Sepsis, an Infection of the Blood, Can Kill the Young and Healthy, Not Just Surgery Patients

By January 29, 2009

Sepsis is an infection of the blood stream. It sounds simple, if your blood gets infected, take an antibiotic, right? It isn't that simple. Sepsis is a life-threatening condition and it can strike after surgery, after something as simple as a urinary tract infection or you may not even know where it started.

Article: All About Sepsis

Sepsis is so dangerous because of the body's reaction to it. In addition to a fever, confusion, racing heart and breathing that is very fast, sepsis causes the blood pressure to plummet. The body is fighting so hard to control the infection and maintain blood flow, yet the infection is on a rampage.

Sepsis can strike out of the blue, and it hits hard. Patients can go from feeling normal to in an ICU with full supportive measures in 24-48 hours. Sometimes the source of infection can be located and treated with surgery or other means, for other patients the source is never known.

Recently, a young and healthy Brazilian model died after developing sepsis that started with a urinary tract infection. Jim Henson, the famous creator of the Muppets, also died of sepsis that developed from a case of pneumonia.

Luckily, sepsis is not a common condition. It is more likely to happen after surgery for an infection than to develop from a garden variety UTI. Still, if you are feeling lousy, know you have an infection and start to develop a serious fever along with feeling faint and breathing fast, don't ignore it. This is one of those times where you are better safe than sorry, especially if you are recovering from surgery.

Have you or a loved one experienced sepsis? Share your story: My Experience With Sepsis

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Keep up with surgery news and information by signing up for the Surgery Newsletter.

Check out the Surgery Forums for surgery discussions, support and more!

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Comments
January 31, 2009 at 8:20 pm
(1) Deborah says:

Well, I will try this again. I recently lost a man in the ICU to sepsis. A much, misunderstood diagnosis, I thing, especially for families. It is good you are bringing awareness. Actually, we see alot of people in the ICU with sepsis.

February 8, 2009 at 5:36 pm
(2) Martha Miller says:

I recently had a friend that was hospitalized and nearly died. The cause? MRSA. Thanks you for your valuable websight and education. Martha

February 11, 2009 at 10:05 am
(3) Rosalyn says:

My friend got sick all of a sudden with sepis been in the hospital for the last 3 months have had his right fingers and foot amputation left toes amputation also on dailaysis

February 24, 2009 at 4:12 pm
(4) beth says:

This is a serious condition, my father died not even 48 hours after the first signs of symptoms, Symptoms which were at first …. extreme thirst , and joint pain…. they progressed and near the end…he had slurred speach , could’nt move , breathing problems, low blood pressure, …by the time he got to the er via ambulance he died 30 min later……This is a very scary very real ailment….please get checked if you even think you have this….

March 3, 2009 at 6:18 pm
(5) cathy says:

i have a friend in icu right now. i have been looking up blood infections because that is what he has. he went in for a hernia operation and is now dying…the websites don’t say anything about having a normal surgery and ending up like this. is this normal to happen in this type of surgery??

March 3, 2009 at 7:57 pm
(6) surgery says:

I think to call sepsis after surgery normal would be a stretch. Surgery patients are at risk though, because any time there is an incision it is easier to acquire an infection. Some surgery patients are also, temporarily in many cases, fairly ill, which would also make it easier to acquire an infection.

May 23, 2009 at 6:12 pm
(7) Michele says:

I just lost my mom to Sepsis as well. She started showing the symptoms only about 15 hours before she died. She developed a high fever, sweating, slurred speech,low sugar and low blood pressure. She was diabetic with renal failure and two legs amputated. The infection came from the dialysis port.

I am wondering apart from antibitics what else could the hospital have given to try and improve the situation.

It is just a shock to us that she died so quickly.

May 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm
(8) surgery says:

Michelle,
I wish I could tell you that there was something more the hospital could have done, an antibiotic that may have made the difference, but that very well may not be the case. Sepsis, unfortunately, happens very quickly and can kill even the healthiest individuals within hours, even with top-notch care.

I’m so sorry this happened to you and your family. I wish I could give you better answers to your question.

August 28, 2009 at 12:46 am
(9) nettie says:

I recently had back surgery. They have drained 400 cc’s off the surgery site twice. They took samples today for find out if bacteria is present and if so what type…why they did not do this the first time beats me.
If the fluid comes back I risk going thru another surgery to put in a drain, as well as check the source. Has anyone else heard of this happening????

January 19, 2010 at 10:53 am
(10) jessica says:

My best friends father has been in the icu for almost a month now trying to fight the disease sepsis. The doctors have tried everything they could. he’s on life support and my friend and her family has to make the worst decision of their lives whether to keep him on the machines or sign to take him off it. Its very devastating to loose a loved one over this!

February 27, 2010 at 4:56 am
(11) sourav says:

i hav lost my beloved wife in sepsis,she was only 27,it happened in R & R hospital,delhi…her IVF was in progress…i hav lost my life.line..u pls take care while surgery ….

May 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm
(12) Wendy says:

Hi…I found the article quite interesting regarding Sepsis and particularly how dangerous it is. I acquired Sepsis following the c-section birth of my first child (3 years ago). Luckily for myself I was still at the hospital when the fever started and had been experiencing tremendous pain in the uterus, beyond what others had described the pain to be following a c-section…and was still feeling pain after the administration of morphene 10 mg every 4 hours. Hence, the doctors and nurses acted quickly to determine what was going on. this started about 24-48 hours post procedure. I was put on very powerful intervenous antibiotics for 5 days and was in the hospital 8 days in total. I didn’t realize at the time ( as my husband and i were so happy about the arrival of our baby) that the ‘sepsis’ was so serious. Thankfully I responded extremely well to treatment and healed just fine. I think the key is acting swiftly, sepsis is time senstive…it can take over one’s body very quickly. 2 signs following surgery would be in extreme pain, fever and chills.

May 23, 2010 at 3:59 pm
(13) Ruth Wilkie says:

Hi my husband has been in hospital for 14 weeks , he got sepsis and was in intensive care for 5 weeks. He now has severe brain damage and the doctors say it is due to sepsis have you seen this with any other patient?
Ruth Wilkie
Barbados

September 14, 2010 at 6:21 am
(14) Harish says:

Hi my father has been died because of sepsis. I loves him alot.
After he operated with surgery he got fever. He delayed for one week. He has diabaties also. After one week he joined in hospital because fever still getting.

He died on 18thAugst,2010. After struggled 2 months suddenly heart beat went fast and BP down and he lost breath.Then they kept in ventilators. He was able to see us but body infected. Doctor told us to take away him to house.

I am looser. I can’t get my dad. He is just 48. No words to explain my pain. God punshied me. My entire life will be having that pain. I never forget his eyes seeing us whenever he was in ventilator.

I request to anybody please take care before and after surgeries.

March 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm
(15) Frankie Rodriguez says:

Last july my father had gall stones that ended up getting into his main bile duct in his liver.They removed the stones and inserted a teporary tube(called a stent) in the liver duct to help keep everything open and flowing properly.

Since july he has been stronger,healthier,more energetic and happy,than i have seen him in years.

On february 10th,it was finally time to remove the temporary stent.It was supposed to be a routine procedure…Non invasive…it only took 15 minutes…they didn’t even cut him open to retrieve the stent,it was all done with some kind of scope down his mouth.They sent him home less than an hour after he woke up.

He went home…went to bed…woke up sick in the morning…went to the hospital and died of septic shock less than 24 hours later…we just had his funeral yesterday.

The most important man in my life and the lives of my entire family is gone…he was 50 years old…

July 12, 2011 at 8:56 pm
(16) maria rios says:

Im a sepsis survivor. And almost lost my life in 2010.My only symptoms were fever and chills,body aches within ten hours i went into a coma. My then 8 year old son found me. it was the scarriest moments in my families lives. i dont remember anything other than having those symptoms. and i can relate to all these remarkable stories,with such sadness and sorrow.for all the people who didnt surrvive and to their families.And to the survivors like myself who will never be the same.physically i’m great no complications but emotionally i’m still trying to understand that missing time in my life and how i hurt my family.and trying to coupe with all the emotions im going through anger and depression..

July 24, 2011 at 12:59 am
(17) Nicki says:

My mom is recovering from sepsis. I would love to talk with someone has has survived sepsis. You can email me at bbd.nicki@rogers.com
Nicki

August 24, 2011 at 2:07 am
(18) Nicole says:

I am a sepsis survivor.

October 1, 2011 at 10:52 am
(19) Naresh says:

Hi All,
thanks for all your information and sugestions.

My brother is still in icu, recovering from sepsis ( diabetes patient) age 37 yrs.

Can anyone please suguest/ advice me what to takecare of him? Please please.. I love my brother.

tnaresh1982@gmail.com

October 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm
(20) Helen says:

I am too a sepsis survivor, after the birth of my son months ago, I nearly lost the fight for life, antibiotic treatment was not started for 2 days as they thought I was drunk or dugged as I couldnt talk without slurring, as if?? my baby was only 12 days old!! Still having problems now, but I am here, so sorry to all of those that lost the fight to this terrible terrible infection xx

October 18, 2011 at 10:07 am
(21) Vibhas Ratanjee says:

I lost my father to sepsis a few weeks ago. He was only 61. He had just complained of mild fever and pain in the side of the neck. We got him checked and the GP said it was just a chest infection and gave anti-biotics. Within 24 hours we were rushing him to the ICU after his condition deteriorated. He survived just 3 days in the ICU on a respirator. They did a full body CT scan and could not find anything. There are so many question in my mind. He was a healthy man? then why? should the GP have detected it earlier? why couldnt he? could something have been done to save him? what if he had continued? why did this happen to him? did he get it from someone.

This has been such a shock to us all.

November 8, 2011 at 9:42 am
(22) Kay says:

My dad was fighting cancer and won…scan was cancer free. Then Dr. told him to do radiation to make sure cancer was gone. He ended up getting a mouth infection from the radiation and chemo. He had to have a feeding tube put in. About a month later he started having trouble talking, cognitive problems, falling down. Mom took him to ER. He sat in regular hospital bed for 3 days and no answers. Then he had trouble breathing and was intubated. He has been in ICU for 2 weeks, unconscious and doctors can’t tell us if he’ll ever wake up. All the tests were negative for sepsis but that’s what he was treated for. I wish I knew all this information a month ago. I would have been watching for an infection. Now my dad will never be the same.

November 23, 2011 at 6:57 am
(23) ellygino says:

My Dad went into knee replacement surgery last Friday, on Saturday my dad started to act real strange,. Come Friday the doctors claimed he had sepsis they told us to wait 24 hrs,
yesterday Tuesday I noticed he is breathing fast with mouth open- they are giving him Morphine so he is in and out he is aware of all the family. One thing I’m not being told is that it takes longer to get better like I’m reading here. My dad is a fighter all i want to hear is that he will make it.

He does have Kidney problems, oh dear lord I don’t want to lose him, and why is this happening so much to patients coming out of the OR..??? Does this have anything to do with unsterilized OR tools, I see allot people here in ICU with sepsis.

January 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm
(24) Jodi says:

I just lost my mom in December 2011 due to sepsis. She was 69 and had open heart surgery and survived the 8 hour operation. Her kidney function was not 100% and she was on a respirator but the doctors told us she would be fine.

Three days in the ICU and she started to become agitated, later her breathing became very rapid. Still the doctors said, “No worries”. The nurses even said to go home as she was stable and had a nurse around the clock.

That night at 3am, she developed a fever. By the time I arrived the next morning they were doing CPR. After her heart stopping 3 times and her blood pressure almost none existent, she died!!!

The doctors were in shock. The say in the end it was probably sepsis. I kept asking them the day before, “Are you sure she is not getting sepsis” since she was breathing so fast. They said no because she did not have fever.

By the time the fever set in, she only lived about 9 hours!!!

Very sad…I lost my best friend, my best moral support and the best mom anyone could ask for.

February 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm
(25) Kathy says:

To all of you who survived and those who lost a loved one, please visit the Sepsis Alliance website and consider sharing your story. More people need to understand the sepsis monster and how critical it is to seek prompt treatment.

I lost my husband to this nightmare in 2009. I personally knew 3 other adults who died from sepsis just since 2004, and I am not in the health field. ALL of them should still be here, as proper treatment was delayed because of failure to recognize or understand sepsis. It is thought to be the third leading cause of death in this country and one survey revealed 70% knew nothing about it. We must educate the public.

September 18, 2012 at 11:57 am
(26) Sabrina says:

I survived sepsis after fibroid surgery. The hospital believed that it stemmed from a straight catherization a nurse gave me after surgery bc I couldn’t pee. This led to a UTI, which caused pyelonephritis(kidney infection). Pyelonephritis then led to septicemia (the kidneys filter the blood) and colitis (inflammation of the colon). My condition progressed really fast. Surgery on Thurs, released from hospital Sat, high fever, chills, overall malaise, abdominal pain by Monday. I called the doctor on Tues..they told me to immediately come in. They took my blood, said I had a UTI and sent me home with antibiotics. Nurse called Wed morning and said that my white count showed an overwhelming infection and that I need to come back to hospital immediately and to go to emergency room. I could barely walk, I was confused, spiking a 104 degree fever and deathly ill. They admitted me immediately to ICU and started me on broad spectrum antibiotics and fluids. They ran other tests as well to see the extent of damage and saw the colitis. I am ever so grateful to my surgeon and the entire team of doctors at Abington Memorial Hospital for recognizing the symptoms and responding quickly. It is imperative also that when they tell you post-surgery to call if your condition changes (additional pain, fever) to respond and not wait. I truly know if I had waited another couple more days before calling doctor, I would not be here. I spent six more days in ICU..I had E. Coli septicemia..SMH!! Nasty bug almost killed me. Still have stomach issues and have to get my liver checked but it’s all good….I’m here…and alive! I’m so sorry to all who have lost their lives and loved ones to this insidious disease that should be recognized and treated quickly by our healthcare professionals. They must do better….

September 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm
(27) Annette says:

I survived sepsis. I contracted it from a UTI. I was 11 days in a clinic in Mexico, completly unconscious for 9 days. That was a year ago. The MRI shows brain damage. My balance is way off, speech altered, walking very difficult, though I can walk without a cane with care and a little help sometimes. My brain does not feel normal. Some days are better than others. I am 57.

October 3, 2012 at 12:58 pm
(28) imtiaz malik says:

i have lost my beloved wife and mother of my 2 kids due to sepsis on September 5th 2012 due to sepsis which was did after C section, really it is very dangerous, our last visit to Doctor on 4th night but really unbelievable why not understand by our doctor that patient is in sepsis, on 5ht morning my wife BP doped,feeling trouble in breathing, we shifted to hospital but she can not survive, i was not aware about sepsis if i know before her death symptoms of sepsis may be i can do something for her to save the life of my loving wife, she was just only 31 years

October 17, 2012 at 2:19 pm
(29) Karen says:

My 85 year old Mom is in ICU fighting this now. Am finding these postings helpful thank you. Prayers an d sympathy for all those who have faced this condition.

November 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm
(30) vanhester saphy perret says:

well my sister melissa has sepsis and life support. She has been in tinterfaith Jewish medical since 09/08/12. She was diagnosed with kidney failure. I do not want my sister to suffer. She suffered too much in her life . I loved my sister so much but God loves her more.

November 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm
(31) dawn says:

i survived it when i was 22 from a uti. my niece just survived it last month. my dad died of it a week ago. he lasted 1 day. i remember fighting for my life. my dad simply had no chance.

November 21, 2012 at 5:39 pm
(32) Lida Davis says:

I just lost my 40 year old husband to sepsis. He had the first symptom and was gone in less than 24 hours. I’m mad at the Dr. for not catching that it was sepsis and giving antibiotics until he was in the ER for 6 hours. Each hour sepsis is not diagnosed, adds 6% to the mortality rate. That’s 36%! He left behind me, 2 stepdaughters, and a 3 year old and 10 month old baby that was his. God Bless you all!

November 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm
(33) kell says:

I just lost my 59 year old father in october due to sepsis after having a trach put it sepsis killed him within a couple hours,they really need to find a quick cure that works and kills sepsis and hospitals need to no more about it and try to pervent it as much as they can….it is a horrible thing to go threw wish you all best of luck with your loved ones.

December 8, 2012 at 1:27 am
(34) Kelly says:

I am a Microbiologist, so I feel I can try to answer some of the questions I have been reading in the comments. The major reason that sepsis is so dangerous is because:

A.) Blood cultures usually take 24 – 48 hrs to become positive, and the workup after they go positive is usually another 24 hrs. Blood cultures are drawn into bottles with special media in them to facilitate growth. They are then put on an automated instrument that monitors all blood cultures at one time, around the clock. If there is sepsis, it will become positive about 24-36 hrs after collection. But once it’s found to be positive, it’s only halfway over. Then the Microbiologist will “plate” the media from the bottle onto special plates. It will then take another 24 hrs to grow on the plates. Then it will take another 12-18 hours after the bacteria grow on the plates for sensitivities to antibiotics to be known. As you can see, it can take 3 days from blood culture being drawn to knowing what bacteria is causing it and which antibiotic at what strength will be effective in treating it. Which leads me to my second point:

B.) Different antibiotics work against different bacteria. So until you know what bacteria is causing the sepsis (and there are about 10-20 different bacteria known to cause sepsis), you can’t really treat the patient. You can try different antibiotics while waiting for culture results to come back, but you are basically taking shots in the dark not knowing if you’re even treating with the right class of antibiotic at the right dose.

I’m sorry for all of the losses I have read about. I hope that I have helped some of you to understand why answers and solutions never came soon enough for your loved one. The horrible truth is, it takes longer to grow and identify the bacteria than it takes for sepsis to claim a life.

December 16, 2012 at 6:33 pm
(35) tee says:

Hi, just lost my best friend to sepsis after various surgeries, both minor and major over the last two years.
He was pretty much on antibiotics since the first minor surgery and then after the hernia op, he complained and they checked him out. Sent away with yet more antibiotics.
Well, he thought he was fine and while visiting his sister, a year after the hernia op, he literally dropped dead in her kitchen.
For a long time he had complained to me of feeling hot and not well.
He told his sister he felt very cold and 20 minutes later he was dead.
Such a shock to all of us.He never even made it to hospital it was that fast.

December 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm
(36) Pat says:

I lost my mom to septic shock this week. We took her to the emergency room around noon and she was gone at 8. Her heart stopped. I miss her so much and need to know if she was aware of what was going on. She was squeezing my hand. But staring into space. Please, someone answer this for me.

December 30, 2012 at 11:26 pm
(37) Lora says:

In May I felt like I had a bladder infection. I went to lab and did a urine culture. A few days went by and no one called with my results. In an instant I went from having a bladder infection to not being able to get out of bed. My calves felt like I worked out for three days straight. I called my fiancÚ and asked him to take me to the hospital. Thinking I would get antibiotics And go back to work the next day. I ended up going septic. The UTI infection turne into a blood infection. I was three months pregnant. I was in icu for seven days. All fluids going in me were draining out of me and I was dehydrated. My veins collapsing. I was worried about my baby so I kept refusing them to use the Levofed. Which could make me lose my baby. It came to the point where we were both in severe danger so I had no choice. The doctor said that he would use a small dose and my blood pressure started going up. My baby is fine and so am I. I didn’t realize that I could die because I didn’t feel that sick.
@Pat. I do believe people know when it’s the last few minutes of their life here. Her squeezing your hand wa her letting you know that she is okay and she loves you. I lost my Mother five years ago, but I know when I need her she is right here with me. As she was with me when I went septic. I am so sorry for your loss…just always remember the only thing a Mother wishes for is her children’s happiness.

February 10, 2013 at 12:34 am
(38) red says:

My brother-in-law is in a intensive care unit. He had a very bad hemroid problem about two weeks ago. He went to a doctor and was scheduled for surgery, the following day. He had the surgery and came home the same day. He was in survire pain before the surgery, aftery the surgery and the following days. The third day following the surgery, he fell from the sofa to the floor. He was rushed to a hospital. He is still critical. A nurse told us he has Sepsis. I asked her, ” what are the signs of Sepsis?” My husband had told me, when he carried his brother to the doctor he had a bad odor. I wanted to see if she would give odor as being a sign of Sepsis. Odor was one of the signs she called over. I do not understand how, infection was not determined when he went to the doctor with a hemroid problem.

March 13, 2013 at 6:58 pm
(39) janet says:

My cousin is in ICU as I write this.. I have never even heard of sepsis but she is only 43 she has kidney stones and always passes them herself. She never misses work but i called her last Monday night 3-4-2013 she said she did not go to work she wasnt feeling good. Said she thinks she has the flu and she knows she is passing a stone. Couple days go by haven’t heard from her.. I’m thinking well maybe since she missed work she is busy.. Then I get a phone call from her brother on machine and he said she was in critical condition in hospital.. I drove to hospital and he told me she was diabetic and she had high blood pressure they didn’t want anyone in her room at this point said she needed to rest. So I went back to his mom’s with him and as soon as we walked in the door hospital called and said she was septic. It’s been 8 days at the hospital still on ventilator they want to take her off and they are trying to wake her up. She will nod head if you ask her something. She opened her eyes once but she looked like she couldn’t focus. I’m praying to God everyday that she makes it. They need to let people know about this.. Like I said I never heard of this and its not a good thing to get…..

March 18, 2013 at 9:51 pm
(40) Salim shekh says:

My brother 21 age suffering from sepsis pneumonia urine infection racing heart every thing seem today 12th day start this problem last 7 days from he is in ventilator in icu in my country biggest hospital but doctor says steel they don’t know that bacteria comppon from where and what is cause for that they apply all antibiotic medicine injections all test nothing response please if any body know what is the medicine for this probalem plz call me 009779808876197 may be ur one call can save my brother life .

March 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm
(41) VJ says:

Hello,

I lost my dad to the same septicemia. He underwent a open heart surgery for an aortic valve replacement . The surgery went fine for 6 hours. But after a week in the ICU he developed septicemia, and his organs failed one by one, his blood pressure dropped to 20, and he passed away within a few hours after that.
I strongly feel it is the negligence of the staff in the hospital , how could they allow any kind of infection while in ICU. This is the Airforce Command Hospital in Bangalore, India. My dad was fine and talking till 1.30 pm that day and by 4.30pm he was going down with this. He was on a cathetrer and they took it out and re inserted it, I strongly feel they have induced ithe infection while doing that. The staff has to be extremely carefully and watchful because they are in ICU.
And also the hygenic conditions in the hospital play a big big role.

Miss my dad a lot…he was only 70 years old.
My advice is , be watchful of the hospital and make sure he/she is a experienced doctor.

March 29, 2013 at 8:09 am
(42) Marijke says:

Hi, I’d like to make a small clarification. Sepsis isn’t an infection in the blood. Sepsis is the inflammatory process that occurs because of an infection. It’s a cascade of events that would not occur if an infection of some sort wasn’t present.

April 24, 2013 at 8:33 am
(43) Pooja says:

This is a very serious infection. I lost my dad to this infection. He got it after his open heart surgery. He never made it.

September 20, 2013 at 9:59 pm
(44) Vickki says:

I just lost my sister to sepsis on August 26th. she had surgery for diverticulitis, she stayed in the hospital for 5 or 6 days. 2 weeks after the surgery she went for her follow-up appointment where they told her she had an infection. She ended up in the ICU. She died 3 days later. I do believe something went wrong. It just doesn’t make sense. she was only 44 years old.

October 2, 2013 at 9:39 pm
(45) Barbara Chester says:

I am enduring a bug/bacteria actually 3 different kinds from an umbilical hernia surgery age 60 female. Surgery date was June 18, 2013 I have a Pic line since Aug.30 with antibiotics every 12 hours plus augmentin. Culture stillpositive. Please advise. I’m scared.

December 6, 2013 at 8:00 am
(46) Cathy Wimsatt says:

maybe they should take the pic line out and culture it if they have not changed it since Aug.

January 29, 2014 at 4:09 am
(47) Kathy says:

My 67 year old father is in ICU. He had open heart surgery back in August of 2013. He came home, after the operation a month later in September. After the surgery he seemed okay, but definitely not the way he was before. He slurred a bit and he walked with a cane. Although he didnt like it. About 6 months after the surgery he started acting funny. He was constantly breathing heavily, and urining in his pants. He kept saying he was fine. We called a nurse and she came 20 minutes later. As soon as she got here she said to call 911 immediately. They said he had a high fever, and they took him to the ER. Hes been in there for 5 days almost, and hes on the breathing tube. They just did a MRI on him and they say there is blood in his brain, and bacteria growth on his heart. They took us he had sepsis, and hes on antibiotics. They also say hes not doing so well, and I just hope hes one of the lucky survivors.

January 29, 2014 at 10:19 pm
(48) Nicole says:

I lost my mom on January 20, 2014 from sepsis. I survived septicemia when I was 18 and pregnant, but it took my mom at the age of 56. A part of my heart is missing, but I thank God that I had a great selfless mom, who put her children first.

February 4, 2014 at 12:04 am
(49) Cr8713 says:

Sepsis is also called “blood poisoning.” Reason being, bacteria or in most cases a single bacterium is multiplying very, very rapidly and poisoning you. This only takes a couple days. For infants and the elderly, the mortality rate is much higher. Detection of infection (fever, lethargic etc) and fresh blood transfusions immediately are critical. Broad spectrum antibiotics also also critical to survive but this could also cause long term damage such as hearing loss for infants. They key for this is early, early detection. Really needs to be before 24 hours to have a chance.

February 28, 2014 at 11:13 pm
(50) Cheri Argueta says:

After my cesarean i my blood culture came back e coli and I was dying while all doctors shoved antidepressants and anti psychotics down my throat my body was shutting down….horror story. I lived but now years later I am having severe unexplained pain so I am wondering long term effects??? Please, please help!

April 11, 2014 at 5:04 am
(51) Shripriya says:

My father who was 64 years old died of sepsis and mutli organ dysfunction on March 9th 2014. He had acute infarct twice and his health deteriorated 6 months before and he started sleeping a lot. He used to sleep 22 hours a day and used to wake up only for food and washrooms. the day he fell down and sounded confused, my mother took him to the hospital, they did blood test and suggested his sodium is low and and he was hospitalised, immedaitely the blood tests revealed he had ascites, pnumonia in both the lungs, high sugar and BP and albumin is losing thorugh urine. he was on ventilator for 13 days and developed fits in between. He did well in between but never recovered. He died of septic schock. He recognised all of us in between when he was in senses and cried. we lost him in front f ur eyes and we could do anytg to save him. We miss him a lot though the doctor says survival would have been miserable to him as he was also paralysed on his limbs and arms. Whatever, we still feel why him?

April 15, 2014 at 12:14 pm
(52) Christine says:

I lost my mother to sepsis 7 May 2014. I have been wondering if we as family and caregivers should be worried about contracting sepsis.

April 25, 2014 at 12:18 pm
(53) voni boyle says:

i have just come home from the hospial after suffering sepsis ,i never had surgery JUST a urine infection , I never want to experiance that again and what a nightmare it was for my family as they could have lost their mother just like that , i no longer care about being pushy at the doctors surgery as if my daughter had not been PUSHY i would have been dead :)