after knee surgery
- after knee surgery there was a hole on the back of my left heel. that hole was more painful then the entire surgery. Why?
- —Guest navy ron
2010 cervical cancer
- Had hysterectomiy and pelvic lypno removed now. Left ovaries and I've went down since now cysts on ovaries and and on lower left on stomach pelvic and had a CT scan showed 2 enlarge lypno. I've went down since I found out cancer in 2010 I ask Dr to take ovaries out didn't want me go go threw change. Hot knots on my neck.
- —Guest Alice
After mastectomy and reconstruction
- No one told me how bruised I would be after this procedure. The nurses said I looked like I'd been hit by a bus. My torso swelled and I was blue and yellow from breast to thigh. Three weeks later I bled out through my scar as I had a haematoma. Then again a week later. Breast surgeon decided to use steristrips and bind me up. He ignored a fellow surgeon's suggestion to scan and drain the area. Three weeks later I oozed from my scar and my Plastic Surgeon removing it found a hole in my wound 1.5cm by 2.cm. He may have to remove the implant if it does not heal. Thrice weekly dressinbgs are actually starting to look li9ke they have an effect but that is now after nearly nine weeks since surgery. My life has been taken over by hospitals. I wish the breast surgeon had listened to his colleague. Thank goodness the PS seems very competentI wish I had been more forceful with the breast surgeon and challenged him on the scan and drainage.
- —Guest ET
Not just a hysterectomy
- I had a hysterectomy. Two weeks later an emergency bowel resection followed by an ecoli infection that required a drain inserted in my lower back that stayed there for 5 weeks. Better now but not out of pain.
- —Guest Girlstillhere
gastric bypass complications
- I had a gastric bypass to improve my health. I expected to be in hospital 3 days...but...I was bleeding internally so my surgeon went back in laproscopically to have a look. He cleaned out clots and put in a drain. For two days the drain has been filling and my hemoglobin is still down. Today he gave me two more units of blood and said that based on the drain contents he might have to go in and have another look. Hoping for the best.
- —Guest ralphpeters
urination difficulties at times
- I had an emergency apendectomy and partial removal of a foot or so of the end of my small intestine and ascending colon losing in the process, my ileocecal valve. From time to time, I awaken in the morning with great difficulty in urination. Usually, I have no problem with urination with a good full stream even though I have a slightly enlarged prostate and am 73. It seems as though when this happens and I decide to sleep on my back for a while, the problem relents and I'm back to "NOrmal" I think what may be happening is that my bowel no longer having it's original archetecture from time to time twists and presses up against my urethra causing a near blockage. It is frightening and can last for several hours until somehow I am able to get relief. WHen this happens, I also note that I don't get complete bowel emptying and it takes several sessions on the toilet to complete this with small bowel movements instead of a large one. And since op. only poorly formed bowel movements anyway.
- —Guest Beastly_Bowel
Colon resection And total hysterectomy
- Why 3 yrs I had abdominal surgery april/09 in Calgary . When I awoke I was complaining about rt hip and rt knee pain in fact it was worse than the colon rection( for divertictultis ) first time up in in the chair my rt knee was twice the size of left leg. After complaining to dr and staff after checking for blood clot which was neg I was told by staff lots of PTs with this surgery have knee and hip pain normal will go away . I went home and was icing my knee my staples were fine my rt knee was so painful I cried like a baby as I was reassured was normal I had a friend stay with me , I tryed to wall the hall , we bought many braces etc . After 2 mons off work Time to return , I was. Using crutches or a can , my family dr sent me for an MRI that month it showed 2 100% tears to two knee muscles after repair and many many treatment I had to have a total right knee replacement this jan / 2012 anyone have any problems ?
- —Guest 3yrsofhell
Laparotomy After Colonoscopy
- My wife went for a routine colonoscopy and came out with a colon tear due to removal of scope by doctor. After being sent to the ER, I.V. fluids were given and blood test run. Her vital signs were stable and gastrointestinal surgeon was called for examination. After evaluation of abdomen was cleared as satisfactory, the doctor ordered abdominal x-rays and an air enema contrast to rule out intraabdominal perforation. Upon recieving the abdominal xray the doctor cancelled the air contast study to rule out perforation. He used free air as the only clincal findings, then ordered her to surgery for an emergency open laprotomy. Post surgery findindings, NO intraabdominal perforations found! The rectal perf was repaired using scope through rectum first, then open laproscopy last. The postoperative conditions for her, a previously healthy person, have been very debilitating. She has IBS, anxiety and depression with no previous history.
- —Guest Michael H
- I have a pacemaker and cow heart valve and had a fat transfer done and about 1 1/2 weeks after got very swick with symptoms of weird skin sensitivities and my head feeling strange--like vibrating. Also, at the site of where the fat was taken from, I had a lot of pain for a very long period of time. I am still having symptoms after 2 yrs and for some strange reason raw garlic seems to help somewhat. This is an awful thing and I just want to feel better.
Bad Hernia repair
- I had my second hernia repair in 2002 and a month later my stomach was red around my belly-button. Went to the Dr. and he lanced it so it would drain because it was infected. I asked how long it would drain and he said as long as I wanted to put up with it without another surgery. Things came up and I didn't have the surgery and it is still draining to this day. I went back to the surgeon that did it and he thought he could get a drain point and get it drained and let it heal on the inside. They can't find a pocket of where it is coming from so I'm stuck with this unless I want to have a major surgery to take out all the mesh which didn't guarentee that I wouldn't solve the problem or could die in the process. Great Huh???????
- —Guest Janeie
- I had an inguinal hernia repair 1 1/2 weeks ago and my complication was needing a catheter for 3 days. It was painful to go the the bathroom and my muscles froze up to where I couldn't go at all. Finally after 3 days it was taken out and I used a donut to raise the toilet seat up by 5 inches and it has made all the difference in the world. Now there is no pain at all when I use the bathroom. I can't wait though till I heal completely. I get sick to my stomach a lot especailly if I over eat. It is like the hernia takes room away for food
Pain 3 months after a nephrectomy
- I had my right kidney removed in April of this year. I was told I would be pain free after approximately 1 month. I have experiencing pain in the area where they removed the kidney for 3 months. It gets worse at night and I can barely sleep because of the pain. I have a doctors appointment on Monday but am anxious to know.
- —Guest Heather
Total Knee Replacement Complications
- I had TKR with an end result of a damaged sciatic nerve that did not respond to prednisone or therapy, so the surgical leg is weak and there is daily pain in my back, knee and leg. There was no warning from the Dr. of this possibility, so it was a shock and has been very difficult to live with. The other knee needs replacement as well, but it is too scary to consider now, so there is double pain! Appetite was affected and energy has been low. Consider all before deciding to have this surgery!!
- —Guest Diane Hughes
Major complication after hysterectomy
- I had my surgery on April 21st of this year. I had a total of two bowel movements in a week. I had the staples removed on April 27th. All of a sudden the bowel movements stopped, the passing of gas stopped and I stayed nauseated and could not hold anything down not even water! The pain meds no longer helped and I was literally screaming in pain. I went to the emergency room on April 29th and found out that my small intestines didn't wake up from when I had the surgery. The pain was sooo bad I had to take a dose of morphine every 15 minutes!! I had to be admitted and stayed until my intestines woke up and I couldn't eat or drink anything for 2 days. My intestines didn't start waking up til 2 days after I was able to have a liquid diet. It's June and I still have problems with constipation but I don't regret having the surgery, it was necessary.
- —Guest abdominal hysterectomy
Complications After Heart Surgery
- I am an avid cyclist and had open heart surgery to repair ASD and a membrane located in my atrium connected to the hole in the septum. I now have rapid heart rate after a MAZE procedure. Beta blockers do not work,blood thinner makes me feel like you know what.
- —Guest craig